June 22, 2012

Feel-Good Friday: Rachel Bilson

Oh, Rachel. I don't pretend to be original in my love for her. From her flawless skin to her flowing hair, and of course a worthy style icon, she is near perfection. I already knew this when I picked up the May copy of Lucky magazine, pencil in hand, ready to take notes on all things Rachel. What I read surprised me.
Usually magazines are full of tips of how to choose the right shade of lipstick, make your waist look smaller, six exercises to do before you hit the beach, ect.  I have read plenty of fashion magazines in my day, but none has had such a great impact on me as this article about Rachel Bilson. When editorialist, Sarah Miller meets up with Rachel for their interview, she tries to get the "dirt" from her and here are the results:


"Though she dresses like a goddess, Bilson refuses to mock the mortals, as much as I try to provoke her. As we mall-troll, I encourage her to play “What’s wrong with this picture?” with two young girls in tight jeans, boots and belted sweaters.
“I’m not a hater,” she says, but I do finally get a few Bilson don’ts: “I don’t like high-waisted skinny jeans.”
“That’s it?” I say. “What about ruffled sweaters?”
“I’m not going to lie to you, I think I might have worn a sweater with a ruffle.”
“Okay. Here’s one: when girls part their hair way over on the side. What do you think about that?”
“I’ve never done that,” she says. “Maybe they’re trying to hide a bald spot, or, in California, they’re trying to be, like, cholitas.”
“Hot girls wearing giant nerd glasses?”
Bilson shrugs. “I think it totally depends on the person, if they can pull it off.” It’s always disappointing when I have a craving for dirt and get sugar, but apparently Bilson used up all her snark playing Summer, and I respect that."

In an opportune moment for Rachel to promote her new shoe line, she instead gives us a valuable lesson that will last far longer than this season's hottest lipstick color: Be nice, don't hate on other's outfits, give people the benefit of the doubt. 
And kindness,as you know, is always in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...